A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Post Post Post

I really don't have anything I want to say today, but I had some free time, so its a good time to post.

Yesterday I made cinnamon bread (available at your local grocer!) and its pretty tasty. I forgot that I like baking things. Maybe after the moratorium on sweets I can bake some other things I've been wanting to (quick back story: after our vacation in July, the wife and I decided to eat healthy through our anniversary on Sept. 13…no cookies or candy or chips or fried foods) such as banana-chip bars, chocolate chippers, maybe no-bakes.

Regarding the moratorium, its been tolerable for the most part. Some days I don't even notice it. Other days are rough, though, like when you have a craving for some ice cream or a Snickers bar. Grocery shopping is a little harder, and should NEVER be done on an empty stomach. You start hearing voices emanating from the Little Debbie/Hostess aisle...the bakery donuts seem to stare at you wherever you go, and so on. I probably look weird zooming through the bakery looking like there's a serial killer in the donut case. Do you remember that scene in Young Sherlock Holmes in the cemetary when the bakery treats tie up Watson and then force feed him desserts? Its exactly like that. (If you haven't seen the movie, I SWEAR I'm not on crack. And its a good movie.)

But there are some snacks that I enjoy that ARE healthy. I do like fruits such as peaches, apples, grapes and raisins, watermelon, strawberries, and so on. Tasty. And good for me. Raisins are a great snack, because they have zero sodium; however, eat too many and you will spend a considerable amount of time in the bathroom. So finding a balance there is important. Other good snacks are animal crackers, graham crackers, goldfish crackers, granola bars, and muffins. I prefer the blueberry mini-muffins. They make a nice treat.

I have my good and bad days when it comes to my diet. I need to make more of an effort to eat healthy, but I do enjoy those times I get to splurge. But since getting my labwork done a couple weeks ago, my BP and cholesterol and everything are all very good. So yay. And my weight is fine, although I DO have a little tum-tum. But mid-thirties is ok to have a little tum-tum by in my book. And 30 pounds of weight gain in 10 years isn't bad, either. I'm finally in the 'average' weight area for my height.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jennifer said...

Love that movie!

12:31 PM, August 24, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home