A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Deep Post 2

I gotta say, Deep Post 2 would be a good band name...

Today I have been thinking about a quandary that I have. Growing up, I always had more female friends than male; usually in a ratio of about 4 to 1. (Sidebar: for today I am defining 'friend' as someone local, whom I would call up and hang out with while the wife is out shopping or whatever...not to say that if you live far away you're NOT my friend, but it makes it difficult to hang out on a Friday afternoon randomly.) I am not sure why this is; whether its easier for me to make and keep female friends, whether I have not been in enough male-centric activities, such as sports, or whether its just happenstance. Nevertheless, that's how things have gone.

My problem arises in the fact that I would like to call and hang out with people from time to time, but either they are A) female, or B) just not that type of a friend. Female isn't a problem as such, but being married, its just sorta weird calling up other women and going to hang out with them while the wife is out, you know? Even though there's ABSOLUTELY nothing going on, its still just a bit weird. Of the guys that I know, very few have my same shared interests...maybe THAT'S my problem. I mean where are you going to find a guy who's equally happy going to a monster truck show as an opera? Who enjoys cartoons and classic automobile restoration? Who'd rather watch a sappy movie over football? Victorian literature and the latest video games? Tough find.

My brother-in-law Jimbo Baggins is a neat guy, and I'd call him up to hang out, except that he's got a weird work schedule, and is also 15 years older than I am. The age doesn't really make much of a difference, but it doesn't help, and the schedule thing DOES present a problem.

I guess my problem, to boil it down, is that I just don't feel like I have any friends I could do stuff with, which is sorta sad, considering I've been here 3 years. And I just don't have a plan for rectifying the situation, or know whether I NEED to.

Don't get me wrong though, I am perfectly happy...the wife is awesome, and so is the dog, and so are the other couples and people we do hang out with...its just something I was noticing and thinking about.

In a non-deep news update, I got Red Dead Redemption, and am enjoying it...although apparently, I suck at riding a virtual horse in addition to a literal horse; I have about 4 or 5 hours of game play under my belt, and my poor horse has been eaten by wolves twice, mauled by a puma, fallen off a cliff twice, and been shot 3 or 4 times, once in the face by me. This is fatalities only, and does not include tripping over boulders, non-fatal shootings, or running into cacti. Stupid horse...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home