A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Guitar Heroes & Tuxedos

This is an excerpt from an email I sent to Behtia describing the joys of tux hunting online that I found amusing, so thought I'd share it:

...a couple of the website names you'd expect, like tuxedos.com, finetuxedos.com, etuxedo.com; but then you divide into 3 categories: gangsta lame, just plain weird, and cutesy lame. Gangsta lame gives you sites like: tuxx.com (like its some kind of edgy thing), cheaptux.com (for the edgy on a budget), and awesometuxedo.com (its AWESOME!). Then the cutesy lame ones take on names like: tuxedojunction.com (I wonder if they have a tux with overalls?), friartux.com (clever, actually, but makes the tuxes seem stodgy and portly), and suityourself.com (ah, i get it, cause a tux is a SUIT and YOURSELF is wearing it ha ha ha...mmm...yeah...). Then there's just plain weird. Like tuxgear.com (sounds ok to start out, but the fact that they use the word GEAR makes it seem like you're girding your loins for battle or something, not renting a suit), or hickeyfreeman.com (its the guy's name, fine, but seriously, you HAD to go with that name for your STORE, too? Isn't the point of wearing a tux to GET hickeys? To be a NOT hickey-free man? Bad call), and tuxedopro.com (not like all those amateur tuxedos...?).

Also being shared today is the fact that Charles, William, and I have formed a band called 'Brothers Grimm' on Rock Band. I, of course, am lead guitar. Its awesome though, cause our little generated characters resemble us! I'm going to try and extract a picture of this somehow, and will post it here or on facebook when I do. We're also on the cusp of embarking on our World Tour. Oh yes. To bring the dulcet tones, hot beats, and smooth licks of the 'Brothers Grimm' to the masses. In a related note, after playing for several hours yesterday, I dreamed I was upstaging Clapton at a children's concert. It was awesome.

Aaaaaand today I'm bored at work. Surprise surprise. Hopefully we get out early, though. I could use the extra time off. Also, I finished my taxes! First time I've ever had them done more than 2-3 days in advance of April 15. Mostly I did them because I'm getting a good chunk o' change back from Uncle Sam. I know it was my money to begin with, but it still feels like free money from the government. I almost feel worthy of some nerd glasses and a blazer with question marks all over it like that crazy man from the infomercials.

So here's a question. Does it make more sense to do 45 seconds worth of work, or to walk over, explain it (2 or 3 times, as apparently I'm stupid...never mind that I've been doing this longer than they've been out of MIDDLE school), go back and sit down, then wait for ME to do 45 seconds worth of work, and then have to review it again anyway? I estimate it takes a total of 4-5 TIMES as long to do it that way. Am I learning anything from it? No, I just transposed 2 letters in one word of one line of one paragraph of text that measures less than an inch square in a page that's more than a foot wide. It HAPPENS. And it will probably happen again. This company is really dumb sometimes. Or maybe its just the people in it, I don't know. To me, and I know this is wacky, it seems logical to generate as little work as possible to achieve the result. Yeah, I could go home today by way of Ocean City, but that doesn't mean I SHOULD. Cause its a waste.

And now its time to get something to eat! Farewell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home