A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Amish Country USA

Please note: no actual Amish were photographed during this journey; their souls remain intact as far as I know in this regard. Enjoy!

There were kittens running around at this strange Amish dairy farm where we got ice cream. SUCH good ice cream, but a strange, surreal kind of place to get it. There were cows, obviously, but also turkeys, kittens, a bulldog, and a peacock. Not your usual "barnyard" selection of animals. Still, I definitely wanted to take all the little floofy kittens home.


Here is an Amish parking lot. All the carts were on the left, all the horses on the right. Which is weird, isn't it? How do they tell them apart? It'd be like us all parking our cars in one spot, and then pulling out the battery or a few wheels and keeping them somewhere else. Why? Those wacky Amish!

Our new band name. Its German for "The Cobblestone Place" as near as we can figure, but is WAY more fun to say. Plus it has that slightly-ominous and menacing grainy sound that so many German names do. Like its a place where they either make beer or torment small children. Or both. It was, in fact, an antique shoppe.

This is my noble steed! My brother William and I were in a constant competition for the day...we could "call" people, animals, and vehicles of any kind with which to make an army that would have to fight one another by the end of the day. It was a stitch. I had 47 train cabooses, a few dozen Amish buggies, 3 classic cars, 2 bunnies, 3 sheep, 200 head of cattle, an Amish girl on a scooter, 2 geese, a broken haywain, tourists, and this little guy, my noble steed. His head reached only just above my waist. I have named him Pepito. And I told William that he breathes fire and flies. I am not sure if he actually does this or not. My guess would be not, but with little donkeys, you never know. Plus we can stay up, swap manly stories, and in the morning...I'm making waffles. William WAS jealous about that.
And that was our family Lancaster trip!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Pepito...the most Amish of all names...
-M
PS - I didn't know the center of the earth was made of candy!! Puts a whole new level to the whole "how many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" thing.

9:35 AM, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you I love donkeys? Well I do! Especially the shaggy italian sort.

BTW, our little amish grocery mart in G-town has butter brickle ALL THE TIME! Word!

La

10:00 AM, August 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home