A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Cell Phone Saga

Today's rant is about the absurdity of cell phonery. I have been a loyal minion of the Verizon for nearly 4 years now, and haven't had any problems with them. But a visit to the local Cingular store the other day opened my eyes.

In my opinion, Verizon has become the AOL of cellphones.

They've started standardizing all their screens, won't let you modify them or download and use independent products, like ringtones and wallpapers. You have to use V-cast these days. And heaven forbid you want to leave Verizon, because once their tentacles are in you, breaking free is painful!

So I began the process to switch to Cingular, where I will have a cheaper plan, a better phone, more options, rollover minutes, and as-good or better reception. Good plan, eh? Unfortunately, my contract with Verizon isn't up until October 29, so if I try to take my cell number with me before then, I'll get charged a $175 breaking-contract fee. Furthermore, if I wait until October 30th, they can no longer gurantee that number won't be given out to someone else. So basically I have one day to make the switch. Stupid stupid people. And of course the 29th is a Sunday.

Now the plan is to get a good deal at Cingular, let my Verizon run out, and have a new phone number. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. But I'm giving it a couple weeks to think about it.

Ummm...that's about it. Please note, there are only six (6) more shopping days until my birthday. Plan accordingly.

Today's entertainment is a cheezy music video that remixes a line from LotR. Its amusing, and surprisingly, it sticks in your head, much like the Llama Song or BadgerBadgerBadger, but not quite as good as either of those: Mashed Taters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home