A Prize In Every Box

This is a place for the random musings and life experiences of one Fliven, who looks for life's fun little surprises, even when its in a giant box of stale, tasteless foodstuffs.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Hill, GA, United States

The details of my life remain shrouded in mystery.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Blog Once More...

So yeah. Its been a really hectic 6 months since last I blogged. I really want to keep up with it, but just don't seem to have the time, plus everyone's on facebook or twitter now, blah blah blah. To my credit, I am fighting the flash-in-the-pan fad that is Twitter. Thanks to the stalwart efforts of people such as Signe and myself, e-vite has dropped by the wayside, so I'm sure with time Twitter will suffer the same fate. D.T.T.!

Anyway, yes. Six months. We got a dog. Still loving our house. Got more snow than Maryland. Went on a cruise. Enjoyed Christmas Day in 3 different states spanning 600 miles. Lost Behtia's dad shortly before Thanksgiving. Are talking about having kids. Getting raises and promotions. The stuff of life.

Recently, the wife sent around a boiler plate fill-out bucket list...I've done a LOT of the things on it. I think out of 50 or so things, there were only about 10 or 15 I hadn't done. So go me. And some of those were things I have no desire to do, like bungee jumping or hang gliding. I really SHOULD make my own bucket list...Miss Write Again Soon is putting me to shame with her commitment to blogging and bucket listing and book reading. I'm going to work on it, though. And I HAVE accomplished a few things on her list that she hasn't. Word of advice if you're reading this...owning a library room is overrated. They look wicked cool, and are fun to be in, but having to shelf and sort and alphabetize and categorize a few thousand books is a PAIN. Plus I constantly worry if the weight of those shelves on our 2nd floor is going to make the floor collapse. Its 3 or 4 tons, easy. But still, it makes a nifty man cave.

In the next weekend or two, the wife and I are going to have to do a home-improvement-great-debate. I married someone who is anti-curtains. Who knew? I like curtains. Our house looks weird and cold without curtains. Plus the kitchen floor is presenting issues...I'm entirely capable of doing it myself, but we have to decide on what we're putting down, first. The good news is we'll probably leave the laminate that's already installed down as a vapor barrier, since there's nothing wrong with it other than it is scuffed and discolored and cheap-looking. Hardwood would be nice, but it would be tough to get something that would work with the wood in the kitchen cabinets, the kitchen table, AND look ok if seen from the living room, which has a 3rd type of wood. Tricky. Or we can do a tile of some sort. Or we can just put down flagstones, which would be AWESOME, but would also be INSANELY cold to walk on in the winter. Like, you could get rid of your fridge and just keep your food on the floor kind of cold.

Which, incidently, leads me to my recent issue with going outdoors without shoes in the cold. You can do it, but as you get older, and especially if you do it repeatedly to say, take out the dog, it will cause the muscles and tendons in your feet to cramp. I woke up the other day and I could barely walk because my foot hurt so bad (I just tried to write this as 'furt', which I think makes a good word for pained, cramped feet). NOT cool. It went away after a few hours though.

Also, my current crop of favorite shows are Big Bang Theory, Community, House, and Chuck. Until they bring back Firefly. I DREAM of that day. Best show EVER.

That is all. Time to go eat lunch. Or rather, second breakfast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ms. Write Again Soon said...

But I *long* for a library room! Although now that I listen to so many audiobooks and have my trusty Kindle, I realize that I will probably not own enough books for an entirely separate room. Bummer.

Incidentally, we are just on the tail end of installing some laminate hardwood floors in our basement and let me just tell you that HGTV and DIY Network and ANYONE ELSE who tells you that it's a "weekend job" should be drawn and quartered. We're in our 5th month of the project (admittedly between work, travel, and moderate social activities) and are crossing our fingers that it will all be done by the time our garden needs to be planted.

For someone who is using Facebook as an excuse not to blog, you're not very prolific there either. MORE POSTING!!

11:22 PM, February 18, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home